22 Temmuz 2026 Çarşamba

The Best Way to Survive AI: Leadership Lessons from My Summer Vacation

My phone has been buzzing with notifications recently. Thank you to everyone who sent messages celebrating my 13 years at PMI!

Being on vacation during this milestone gave me a chance to step back. I am almost completely disconnected from the daily corporate rush. When the noise fades, you finally have the mental space to think about the bigger picture and future growth plans.

During my morning walks by the sea, I’ve been listening to podcasts about Artificial Intelligence and its impact on us - white collar professionals. The fear is everywhere: What happens when machines can do our jobs faster?

An early morning walk with podcasts on AI

The best answer didn’t come from a tech or HR expert. It came from two local business owners I met here in Marmaris.

Before I tell you what they did, you need to know how I found them. I didn’t use a search engine. I hired our boat captain because the hotel insisted. I drove to a restaurant in Söğüt because a neighbor told me I simply had to go. That is the payoff of real leadership. When you lead well, your customers do your marketing for you.

The Captain Who Helped a Rival

Our boat captain in Selimiye was flawless. The wind was heavy, but he docked our boat smoothly on the first try. The boat right behind us, however, was struggling. They tried and failed multiple times.

Time to have nice memories with my son in the boat

An algorithm only cares about its own success. It finishes its task and stops.

Our captain didn't do that. He stood up, shouted directions over the wind, and patiently guided his competitor until they were safely docked, too. As we left, the rival crew yelled their thanks across the water. He didn’t just steer a boat; he helped a rival succeed.

Family comes first, and vacation period is the best time for quality time with family

The Welcome Before the Menu

A few days later, we drove to that highly recommended restaurant in Söğüt. Before I even turned off the engine in the parking lot, a woman walked up to our car with a huge, warm smile.

It was Yasemin, the manager who also named the restaurant. She didn't wait for us to walk inside. She saw we were new, welcomed us right at the car, and personally guided us down a narrow path to the water.

Software can take a dinner reservation in one second. It can send automated reminders. But it cannot walk up to your car and make you feel valued before you even sit down.

The Un-Automatable Growth Strategy

After 13 years in Philip Morris International (in addition to 3 years at PwC and another 3 years at General Motors), I know how much we focus on efficiency and automation. They are important. But efficiency is not a legacy.

If your business model relies entirely on doing tasks faster, AI will eventually catch up. But if your growth relies on empathy, building deep trust, and showing genuine care to competitors and customers, you are irreplaceable.

You cannot automate a good reputation. We don't need to act more like machines to survive the future. We just need to be more human.

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder

Google adsense

Analytics